Sunday, January 7, 2018

Lydia and her tender heart

 In early September of last year when Hurricane Harvey hit Lydia came home telling us that her teacher, Mrs. Eskelsen, was a hurricane survivor. The school had told the students about what was happening in Houston and Lydia told me, nearly in tears, as we walked home about a woman walking in muddy water with her dog on her shoulders. She said that the homes and the cars were full of water. She described images she'd seen of muddy water and the streets being full of it and people losing their homes because things were so bad.

The school was collecting stuffed animals for the kids who had lost so much in addition to collecting money so that they could raise funds for a particular school in Houston. Lydia wanted to be a part of it so much. She ran right upstairs when we got home with a Ziplock back, determined to fill it up with the coins in her piggy bank. She said she'd promised her teacher and that it was her money and that these poor kids needed it so badly. She found two stuffed animals she wanted to donate. And she couldn't stop her tears while she talked about it and how she needed to donate to both the BYU and Utah bins so that it would be fair. The school was making the donations a competition by letting the kids choose which school to donate to including Utah State. And seeing as we cheer for both the Y and the U how could Lydia possibly choose?? So we sent her with some money (not her piggy bank collection) and she donated to both schools.
After the Houston fundraiser discussion in class Lydia went up to Mrs. Hilton and said, "I really like all my stuffed animals." So Mrs. Hilton told her, "it's okay sweetie, you don't have to give any of them away." And Lydia stood there for a minute and said, "no. I do. Those kids need them more than I do." So Mrs. Hilton told her she would love to take her home with her and Lydia said, "that's what Miss Shelley said last year!" I love this little girl and her tender/giving heart. And I'm glad her teachers love her too!

 On picture day she dressed up in a pretty flower dress with a white flower in her hair. I curled her hair and she was all set to go. When I picked her up from school both the secretary and one of her teachers told me that she had a scare with a bee. And she was pretty upset about it. So I asked her about it. And she said, "Mom! I can't ever wear this dress again! The bees totally thought I was a flower and landed on me!" It was definitely a little traumatizing for her. She didn't even want to put flowers in her hair after that. Not that I blame her. Bees are not my favorite either and if we can keep our distance from each other, so much the better!
Back to the fundraiser. Lydia ended up bringing in a stuffed animal each day the donations were being collected that first week. It made her so happy to think that some poor kid who had been through so much would get to have a little something to cheer him or her up. I hope she stays so positive and kind and generous always!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not crying. You're crying. 😭😭 Lydia! I love your giving, sensitive heart! I'm sure those kids appreciated it. (And giving to both the bins! So cute! But really, you only need to donate to the BYU bin. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ƒ)

    ReplyDelete